Random Expat Life Stuff!

Things are hot and humid over here in Korea! I am not prepared for the humidity that summer will bring. My days are always eventful but now that I'm in the gist of things, I've neglected my blog dearly. To anyone who is reading this: things are good and I am happy.

There's a few topics I wanted to touch in this entry:


mosquito spray: Some guy has been riding around in this super loud, extremely annoying moped thing releasing ginormous clouds of some kind of chemical that apparently kills mosquitos. Is there a mosquito outbreak in Korea? I hope I don't catch the god damn West Nile. A walk through the

park guarantees you at least three bites. Blah.

salsa dancing: I met a new foreigner friend via couchsurfing and we decided to check out salsa dancing. She's really cool because every year she tries something new. This year she is doing salsa dancing and learning how to sail. I wish I had the motivation or drive to stick to my guns and take up a new hobby. My thing is - I get sick of things awfully quick. Salsa was fun for the first ten minutes and then after that, I was over it. Big props to anyone who can salsa dance though. It looks really fun if you're good but I just won't ever be good. Ha.

teachers day: Teachers day was apparently recently and I was showered in "I Love You" cards from my students. So adorable. One student gave me a handmade fan that her grandfather made and another gave me a super awesome Swarovski pen. Not too shabby.

Coffee in a milk carton <3
election speeches: The election is soon in my town. We even have election day off! Holla! Ha. But I'm assuming these really loud speeches that I've been hearing pertain to the election. No literally, I felt like I was in maybe North Korea listening to some kind of propaganda. Whatever was happening went on for a really long time early in the morning during the weekend. I was just hanging out in my room and this monotone voice just would not shut the hell up. People stand on the corners with signs like they do in America but instead of waving, they bow to the cars. I have a feeling that when I get back to the States, I'll be bowing to everyone. You bow to say hello, thank you, goodbye, what have you.

matching couples: It's very common to see couples dressed completely the same and it's really really weird to me. Like identical! I'll have to take their picture one day. They look so silly.





mango beer: So I've found my new favorite bar in my city. It's called the dog house and the marketing is genius. The menus are shaped like a dog head. It's really cute. The drinks are cheap, the staff is super nice, you can smoke inside, they have outside seating, they have darts!, and they're open til 5AM. Anywho, they have "mango draft" and "purple draft" which is grape draft. Now, I despise beer.. but these two concoctions do not taste like beer in the slightest! They are sweet and absolutely delicious. And a pint is only about 4 bucks! They have other fruity flavors that are on my to try list. I've been hanging with my co-teacher and his friend lately. They are sooo friggen hilarious. His friend is Korean but can speak English but for some reason he speaks in a British accent and it is absolutely hilarious.





Comments

  1. i believe that in korea when you wave Hi they think it's rude and disrespectful. the formal way is to bow, hopefully i can remind myself to do that when i get there. and i think there's a certain way for male and females to bow. like, when a girl bows she's also supposed to have her left hand over her right? i dont know, something like that. let me know if you know anything about it.

    -jphan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment