Now She's Back in the Atmosphere...

I made it. LJ froze on the airplane. I wasn't really expecting to him to make it all the way to Asia but it was worth a shot.

Making takoyaki
So I'm back. And it feels like I never left. I was greeted at the airport from two of my favorites and everything has been just fine. I had to venture to Japan to get my working visa and to begin my new collection of passport stamps. That was eventful. I didn't do much in Japan because I have no cash and for such a technologically savvy and advanced country, so many places are surprisingly cash only. I hung out in my hostel and became acquainted with the hostel owner. He was super cool. He went out and bought supplies to teach me how to make takoyaki. Takoyaki is one of the most popular street foods in Osaka. It's basically a fried octopus ball and it's BOMB. And cooking it on my own was hilarious. Takoya (hostel owner) and Ivan (a guest at the hostel from Hong Kong) took me out to some good spots for sushi and ramen. Who would have ever thought I've been blessed with the opportunity to eat sushi in Japan more than once. I taught Ivan and Takoya how to play rummy and they taught me how to play Fifa on xBox. I'd say a win, win. And for the record - Osaka is much better than Tokyo, or at least I'd say so.




Water gun fight Friday!
I'm back in the gist of teaching Kindergarten. I'm living in a city called Ulsan, which is about an hour from Busan. I'm pretty far down south and far away from Seoul but I like my city. And my friends are here. And there's a beach. It sure isn't Oregon but I also don't regret my decision to come back to Korea given the situation. It feels good to be back.

I'm no longer living on my friend's couch and have adjusted into my new home. My apartment is cute, and quite small, but perfect for just me. Slowly but surely the decorating will continue.

Rizza!
Nothing much has been going on except me dying from the humidity and heat of this torturous summer we're having. I don't remember it being so damn hot here. And there are these cicadas (insects) that are sooooo loud and make this buzzing sound.

I'm headed to Seoul for a week as school vacation is August 1-5 BUT I'm opting out of taking a vacation and have picked up a substituting job in Seoul for the week for some extra cash. I also have picked up hosting this art event once a month at a local bar here. This guy from South Africa was hosting "Drunk Art" once a month where you can come and paint or spray-paint on canvasses while enjoying some cocktails. He's heading back home and needed someone to take over. Aaaaand that someone is me! And my South African bestie, Andrea. It'll be a good way for me to network with some new faces in this new city. (And make extra cash) I'm excited for it. I also took part in a self defense course at the local police department and even got a certificate for it! I was feeling kind of down since all of my certificates (including the one from the police academy in Poland) were rudely taken away from me and decided to rebuild my certificate inventory. It was fun learning how to defend yourself with keys and a cell phone. Actually the law in Korea is bizarre. If someone is attacking you, you can only defend yourself with as much force as the perpetrator. The second you use a stronger force than them, you could be held accountable for the crime. So if a man was attacking a woman and the woman broke free - then hit the man a few extra times.. the woman could get arrested for hitting the man more times than he hit her. It makes nooooo sense but it's the law. Either way, the class was a success.




Andrea!


You know what I never noticed before? Is the tinted windows of all the cars here. Even the main windshield and back windshield are tinted as well. Like supppeeeerrr tinted beyond the legal tint limit of the good old US. Speaking of the good old US - during a house warming party for my co-teacher from China - all the gun dramatics of America were brought up. My boss asked me if I owned a gun.. 0_o WELP.
Takoya, me, Ivan

And I'll leave you with a few more pictures! You can click on them to make them larger. :) Peace out!
My favorite Korean moms I used to help speak English! We met up for lunch :)


The ramen selection at 711 in Japan


Andrea and I beachin' it






Comments