Tokyo, Japan




So when I first got to Korea, I booked a trip to Tokyo for the weekend because it was less than $100. Can't go wrong. I enjoyed Tokyo a lot but I think that my expectations for it was much too high. You hear all kinds of crazy shit about Tokyo and I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting but I do know that it didn't live up to these unknown expectations. I think the main issue with this is the fact that I live in Korea. Tokyo was like Korea on steroids. It seriously is like a huge combination of Korea and NYC. I think if I haven't lived in Korea for the last six months, I would have been a bit more wooed by Tokyo. Korea, clearly is supremely underrated. Anyways, I'm not saying I disliked Tokyo because that is very untrue. I had a great time! One I will remember forever. If you want to read about it, go ahead and click on "read more." :)








I went to this amazing gallery by the off chance that I was lost and happened to stumble upon it. It was about the perspective of a child on the world. I'm just going to quote it so I can explain it thoroughly and accurately. "Go-Betweens: The World Seen Through Children, which looks at the creativity of children, unconstrained as they are by adult notions of common sense or traditional frameworks, and the diversity of children's sensations." It was amazing, intriguing, and I love when I just stumble upon cool shit without looking for it.



Are you ready for this?! ------- THEY PUT WASABI ON MY SUSHI. Can you believe it? It tasted just like sushi in Korea. WHAAATTTT I'm so glad I didn't travel across the world to go to Tokyo. My flight was barely two hours. For those of you who don't know - in Korea (and apparently Japan) and probably most legit places - they put a layer of wasabi in between the rice and the fish. Usually. And I hate wasabi. But it's faint enough where you don't notice it all too much but it would still be better if it wasn't there at all. The texture of the fish though was phenomenal and the sushi was everything I could have hoped it to be. But again, I'm glad I didn't travel across the world to come here.

However, the ramen was out of this world! They give you a partially cooked (not raw and not hard boiled) egg to mix in with your noodles. The best thing of ever. Totally kicked their sushi in the ass. and the menu and ordering system was all touch screen equipped with pictures so you knew exactly what you were ordering. Super cool and super high tech. Just the type of shit I was expecting from Tokyo! I really wanted to go to the fish market where they hold crazy live tuna auctions at the crack of dawn but what do ya know, the market was closed the entire weekend I decided to be there. Go figure.



The shopping was amazing and they had the cutest stuff everywhere. And if gaming or arcades are your thing, Tokyo is the spot for you. (I just started a sentence with "and" and I constantly tell my students to never do that. Ha.) The arcades were multiple stories high and they had more games than you could imagine. They also had soo many photobooths where you could take pictures where they photoshop your face to look like a models. Pretty neat. I obviously modeled alone in this photo booths and had a grand time.




My favorite thing was this Robot Restaurant that I found on Viator. I met up with a girl who works in Korea where we actually have a mutual friend. The restaurant was all decked out in bright lights and shiny colors. It was so glamorous, I felt like a celebrity. The show consisted of girls dressed up in metallic robot gear and they played instruments and did a lot of cool and mind-blowing shit. We were taking a selfie and the boys behind us photo-bombed it. They were stationed in Japan for the Navy. After the show, we all went out for drinks and  clubbed a little and had such a great time. It makes you understand that part of traveling isn't about the discovery of a new place, but the discovery of new people.








Comments

  1. "It makes you understand that part of traveling isn't about the discovery of a new place, but the discovery of new people." - THIS!!!!!

    & "Tokyo was like Korea on steroids." - LMFAO!

    & this entire blog is exactly how I felt about Hong Kong. SOOOO Happy I did hong kong on a stop-over home and I didn't make a separate trip out of it. Some places just don't click with me... I do feel like I can do Hong Kong again for a day (maybe another layover) because I didn't get to go to a store I really wanted to go to and I didn't get any souvenirs (I collect shot glasses from absolutely everywhere soooo I neeeeed to go back.) lol Although I did feel a bit rushed, I don't know how people spend a week there. I was like, all set. Nightlife was fun, but nothing outstanding. Food was good, but nothing outstanding. I did about 3 big tourist attractions, so I think it did quite alright.

    I ammmmm suuuchhhh a nerd so I definitely want to give tokyo a try, but again, it won’t be for more than 4 days. Thanks for the blog! Now I know this is something that I don't need to put too much time into. :)

    I have my job orientation Monday (the 25th) and then I am going to start planning India. I am going to tell them I am going to be away for two weeks & that it is already booked so hopefully I can get a little time in either Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, or Thailand Who knows!! I also have to look up flight times and shit. Australia is too far for the time I have. Maybe it's time I get away from adventure and just enjoy the beach or something. I don't freaking know. I'm so indecisive when it comes to trips like this because what I really want to do is be rich, take an entire year off and backpack Europe, Asia, & Australia & call it a year! LOL Ugh. Anywayyysssssss. Let me start rambling. I’ll keep you updated on my trip progress. :)

    Byyyeeee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah some places aren't for some people. I think I'm more interested in raw things or things with a lot of history.

      I used to collect shot glasses! Then I had so many and I don't even use them so I stopped. Now I'm a magnet collector!

      Yeah you could easily visit Korea and hop to Tokyo from here.

      I wish I was rich and could just travel too. Shiittttt. You could always save and do Australia next year with me ;)

      Let me know when you're plans are finalized!

      Delete

Post a Comment